Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Jam


Jam Posted by Picasa
Well this Sunday I attempted to make some Jam, since on Friday I managed to waste a whole load of money on these cute jars that were just on sale in Smiths. I just could not resist buying 10 of them. I know insane or what as if I needed them. The other thing was how to explain it to mom especially when we all have a go at her for buying things that we don't need that takes up all the space. Anyway managed to persuade mom that they were just a really good bargain and that she could use them to put her spices in and stuff.....so was not too bad.

O.K on with the jam making, following the recipe for strawberry jam that only required 1.5kg strawberries and loads of sugar to make. Thinking that the mixture would need to be reduced somewhat so that the final quantity would not be too much, I continues head-long into the cooking process. Boy was I wrong I ended up with a whole pot full of strawberry jam, and was wondering why I hadn't brought larger jars to put it all in. Note to self just quarter all the recipes for such things so you just end up with a single jar. Finished making the strawberry jam it was time to make the rhubarb and mint jam which is like a jelly rather than a jam. Fortunately there was only two jars of this made compared to the four jars of strawberry jam. So being a hot and glorious day was not too keen to continue to go ahead and make the plum jam so that is still on the list of things to do. Most likely do that next weekend if the fruit doesn't vanish before then.

No comments: